Friday, November 24, 2006

Conservatism for the Regular Guy...

A few things about me:

As the profile says, I'm what you would call the all-American 'regular guy'. Married, kids, professional and conservative in a common sense kinda way.


I'm no religious fanatic and I actually don't mind if two guys or gals decide that they like each other.


I'm big into the military even though I never served.


I'm probably one of the most patriotic guys I know and if you call me a 'flag hugger' I feel it's a compliment rather than an insult.


I'm an avid supporter of law enforcement.


I'm anti-abortion; but then again, I'm married with three kids. If I was single and 25, I may feel differently. That said, I've been in the doctor's office and heard all three of my kids heartbeats when they were 12 or so weeks along. At that very moment I shuddered at the thought of 'terminating' my or any pregnancy.


Iraq: Is it going well? No. Would I rather our trained military fight terrorists in Iraq than here at home? Yes. Should we 'cut and run'? No, not unless we want to empower the terrorists even more and look even weaker to the rest of the world. Do I care what France thinks of us? No. But they and the rest of the world ought to respect our power. Eight years of Clinton left us weak and our image of strength tarnished. My personal hero Ronald Reagan believed in peace through strength. We were strong and respected. Even if you don't believe we should be there, we must stay and leave on our terms.


The Economy: Not a real issue right now? It should be front page news but you'll never hear about how well the economy is doing because it doesn't sell newspapers. Remember all the talk of how President Bush ruined the progress of the Clinton years? Well, um, hate to tell ya but the surge in the economy in the 90's wasn't a result of Clinton. E-commerce and the Internet drive the economy and Al Gore's creation of the 'net notwithstanding, Clinton had nada to do with it. The crash at the end of the 90's when Clinton left office was cyclical and the resulting downturn in the early part of this decade had nothing to do with President Bush's policies; but you see, a poor economy sells newspapers... The Dow is at an all-time high and unemployment at 5.4%... Don't expect to read about any time soon though.


The Democrat's gaining control of Congress and the Senate. Bravo. Let's see what you can do. We all heard about "change" and "bi-partisanship". Since the Democrats provided no blueprint or gave any indication of what, exactly, they would do if elected, the "change" portion will be interesting. Now's when some real ideas may come in handy rather then "elect me; I'm not a Republican". "Bi-partisanship"? Please... that just means "I want you to side with me and you have to now, because we're in power".

I hate liberals. Yes, hate is a strong word but it's true. The funny thing is, when you picture a Republican, what's the image that comes to mind? A tough, independent, middle-America type guy... Strong, middle-American values and probably with a rifle in his hand. When you think of a liberal, not a Democrat, but a liberal, what comes to mind? A nerdy college professor type with a turtleneck, pasty white skin, glasses and weak. I hate liberals because they are the type to flip me off when I sported my W'04 bumper sticker on the back of my Honda. I've laughed at my fair share of lib, left-leaning anti-bush bumper stickers (‘if you can read this, you’re not the President’, ‘somewhere in Texas a village is missing their idiot’, ‘yeehaw is not foreign policy’ etc…) and would never imagine resorting to flipping the bird at someone who has differing opinions than me. But there I was, driving home on I-580 back in '04 when some little skinny punk in, of course, a Prius, flips me off and points to my bumper sticker! Very well done punk. I’m 6’4 230 lbs…somehow I doubt that Chuck Norris in the Prius would be so tough if the encounter was a little more personal.


And finally...I hate Hollywood elitists. Yes, Reagan and Arnold are Hollywood. But they went on and did something; namely get elected to multiple terms. In other words, they have more substance than the current crop of Hollywood elitists who mock the president during concerts or who think that Christian extremists are just as dangerous as Muslim extremists. You may be wealthy; you may be a celebrity but that doesn’t mean that you know jack about what you speak.

No comments: